Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The Gifts that We are Given...

This may not have anything to do with MaxDog but I just finished reading something from a fellow photographer's blog that punched one of my "hot buttons"--small-minded people!!! This particular photographer, who I really admire (Mike Olivella), has teamed up with another professional (Scott Kelby) to provide a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for an amateur photographer. However, the buzz on the internet is "how dare they do this!!", "we don't need an amateur hanging around with 'us professionals'!", etc, etc, etc.---petty, small-minded, egotistical responses!! This opportunity is being provided purely out of the kindness of their hearts in wanting to give the "little guy" a chance to do something they may have always dreamed about doing. They are to be commended for their selflessness and generosity. What a wonderful thing to do!

I believe that the special talents and abilities that we have are gifts from God and when we share those with others our lives are enriched all the more. I know I will eternally admire and be grateful to my wife's boss, Dan Koukol. He saw a talent in me (photography) that I was totally unaware that I had. In his kindness and generosity he started me down a path that I would have never dreamed possible in a million years. Every photo I have published, every opportunity I have to photograph an event, is a tribute to Dan for his selflessness and encouragement.

I just want you to know that I also find joy and excitement in passing along to you the things that I have had an opportunity to learn and experience. So if you see me at an event shooting photos, please come up and say "Hi"---and bring your camera!! I would love to help you get some great shots and help you experience some of the excitement that Mike, Scott, Dan and I have enjoyed--because of the generosity and kindness of God and others.

VERY Sincerely,
Howie

No comments:

Post a Comment